Moving is an exciting event, but all that it entails can make it a stressful venture, whether you’re moving within the same town or out of state. While there’s no way to avoid the work, there are definitely ways to make the process easier and reduce the amount of hassle involved.
Here are some great tips to help you more easily manage your move and save you from getting overwhelmed.
Before the Move
Preparation is key. For everything to go as smoothly as possible, having a plan is essential. Although time-consuming, preparing in advance will allow for a more efficient and stress-free move.
1) Business Matters
Before you move, be sure to take care of the following important items.
- Schedule disconnect times for all utilities, such as phone, water and electricity, about a week before you move.
- Cancel newspapers, cable, pest control, cleaning assistance, lawn care and other services.
- Mail in your change of address forms about a week before your move date. This can also be completed online.
- Before you leave the old house, make sure the power, water and phone are turned on at the new one.
- Make reservations for movers or rental trucks two to four weeks before the day of your move. If handling the move on your own, enlist the help of a few family members and friends.
Here are some fantastic packing tips that will help keep you organized when it comes time to unpack, saving you time and energy and preventing unnecessary stress.
- Choose a “packing room” ahead of time and box up a few things each day, packing items you won’t need first.
- Don’t move anything you don’t love. This is a perfect opportunity to declutter.
- As much as possible, sort items by room and pack them together.
- Miscellaneous items that don’t belong to a specific room can be used as fillers in other boxes.
- Use labels to clearly mark each box with its contents and the room it will go in.
- Pack important and sentimental documents like health records, passports and photo albums separately.
- A week before your move, pack a box of essential items that you’ll need immediately after you move in and pack it last for easy access.
If you’ve taken the time to pack in a logical and organized fashion, unpacking should be a breeze. Here are some recommendations that will enable you to experience a peaceful move-in process.
- As you bring in each box, put it in the room where it belongs.
- Before unpacking, hook up the washer and dryer, run the dishwasher and buy groceries.
- Start to unpack one box at a time. Don’t put pressure on yourself to get everything into place all at once. You didn’t get everything packed in a day and you shouldn’t expect to have everything unpacked and put away in a day either.
Follow these tips and you’ll have a more enjoyable move and be able to settle into your new home more quickly.
Looking for property in the area? Visit Olde Town Brokers’ website to view our current Central Florida Homes for Sale or call us at 407-622-7878.